The Screening Division evaluates felony and misdemeanor criminal complaints submitted by various law enforcement agencies concerning crime occurring in Jefferson Parish. A criminal investigation is normally referred to the District Attorney’s Office upon the arrest of a suspect. The screening prosecutors consult with police officers, victims and witnesses, and review all evidence of the referral to determine if a charge can be proven in court beyond a reasonable doubt.

The Screening Division also represents the District Attorney’s Office in Commissioner’s Court for the 24th Judicial District. The prosecutor assigned to this court handles all matters concerning a case prior to the filing of formal charges, including bond hearings, preliminary examinations and investigative subpoenas.

The Screening Division is responsible for reviewing and answering civil petitions and representing the District Attorney’s Office in specialty treatment courts such as Drug Court and DWI Court. These are special courts designed to handle the cases of non-violent crimes committed by drug offenders and alcohol abusers. The Screening Division includes the Economic Crime Unit, which fields complaints alleging various types of consumer fraud.

Phone 504.361.2800

How do I obtain proof of the disposition of my charges?

You must first obtain a background check or Review of Record from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office, at 1233 Westbank Expwy., Bldg. A, Harvey, La. 70058, Bureau of Investigations Department, 504.363.5542

If you need a copy of a police report or accident report, see Central Records Department, 504.363.5590

You must then come to the District Attorney’s Office in person with your background check or Review of Record and proof of identification. Our Screening Department will provide you with proof of Disposition of Charges.

Name Changes

You must first file a motion with the clerk’s office Civil Department, located on the second floor of the Thomas F. Donelon Building, 200 Derbigny St., Suite 2400, Gretna, La. 70053.

After filing with clerk’s office, you need to bring the motion to our Screening Department to get the answer to your petition.

Clerk’s office fees are available on their website (